Wednesday, December 14, 2011

30 Days of Bobby McFerrin

So, despite my successes, I have trouble maintaining a positive attitude. Sure, some things don't go my way, but so many amazing things DO come my way, I feel I should be better at staying on an even keel.

I do feel blessed, I do appreciate all that God as done for me, I do recognize all the elite opportunities I've been given and I value them incredibly...but it doesn't seem like it. Because I get so caught up worrying, kvetching, obsessing, whatever you want to call it! It's making me tired and it's to the point where I'm upset with MYSELF for not being able to turn off the Nagging Ninnie and Debbie Downer in my head amidst everything wonderful that I have. I know part of it is this stressful time of year, a few personal setbacks I've gone through, and my mild Seasonal Affective Disorder when the sun stays gone for MONTHS at a time, but still, this is my LIFE. I need to figure out a more long-term way to cope or else I'll feel 60 by the time I'm 30.

The solution? Bobby McFerrin. So long ago, he came up with a song "Don't Worry, Be Happy". I know, I know. It's definitely corny. But I have LONG since believed in the power of music to alter our states of minds. It's time for me to do a drastic overhaul, especially with everything I have coming up in 2012 (more on that later). In light of my birthday, which is tomorrow (and which I've been seriously looking forward to), I'm going to start every morning for 30 DAYS off with this inspirational, upbeat song that, in the past, always put a smile on my face.

The hardest thing to change is a way of thinking, in my opinion, so this is my version of immersion therapy. It doesn't LITERALLY have to be Bobby McFerrin, either. Just a positive song that cheers you up every time you hear it for 30 DAYS, to start your day. Feel free to let me know if it improves your mood in the long term. I'll keep you posted! Every day is another chance to get it right, and I'm taking mine SERIOUSLY. :)

Don't worry, be happy!

1 comment: