Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Kismet.



It's no secret I LOVE Jill Scott. Like, LOOOOVE her. She's a renaissance woman (singing, writing, acting), she's classy, she expresses herself beyond measure, she's beautiful, and she's a ridiculously amazing singer that backs it up with training and serious chops. Yep, she's my musical idol.

I love Jill Scott so much that, after much delay, I finally went to check out Philly for The Roots Picnic and fell in love with Philly too. It was really a shame that I hadn't been since it's so close to NYC, but, if it's not clear, I'm a bit of a workaholic and just never took the time for even day trips for myself. Well, those days are long gone. I've gone to DC, home (for something OTHER than Christmas with the family), and to Philly. I've been TWICE now, since that's where I spent my fourth of July. Anyway, I fell in love with it. When I settle down (IF I settle down...), I think I might like it to be in Philly. It's still urban, it's close enough to the city, it has a great music scene (Jill Scott, The Roots, etc.), it's got a multicultural population which is always a plus, reliable public transit, it's inexpensive (compared to NYC), and it's just plain pretty.

But anyway, back to Jill Scott. Like her, I've had vocal training. Like her, I write (I haven't written in a while, but I'm a relatively accomplished screenwriter). Like her, I keep my hair natural. Like her, I'm drawn to the jazzier, soulful side of music. My frequent drummer, Rashad King, even knew (knows?) her once background vocalist, Vivian Green. And now I've entered in the Budweiser Opening Acts competition, to be her opening act.

So is it kismet? Will I soon and very soon get to work with my musical idol, if only to get fans (and myself) ready to see her? Golly jeepers, I hope so! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment